In 1944, with his son-in-law, Fred C. Fay and their wives, the North Industrial Chemical Company, a partnership, was organized for the distribution of industrial chemicals.
Development of new applications for molybdenum additives in subsequent decades prompted major plant expansions in 1965 and again in 1977. By 1977, NM&C Co. was the largest domestic producer of the sodium molybdate compounds used extensively in metallurgy, paints, inks, fertilizers, vitamin supplements, and automotive antifreeze.
The advent of inorganic corrosion inhibitors has extended the use of molybdates as water treatment additives for cooling tower systems. However, stringent quality control requirements of this new application dictated a “top to bottom” modernization program at NM&C Co. Completed in 1987, this project virtually rebuilt the plant – increasing manufacturing controls, production efficiency, and overall product quality. 1988 saw the implementation of a full statistical process control (SPC) program. Today, all aspects of production, from receipt of raw materials to shipment of the final product, are continuously monitored and checked to insure our products are produced to the highest quality standards.